Cold Noodle Salad
- Ginger, fresh, grated - 1 tsp.
- Garlic, fresh, grated - 1 ½ tsp.
- Tamari, gluten-free, low sodium - 4 tbs.
- Chili paste - 1 tsp.
- Hoisin Sauce, gluten-free - 1 ¼ tsp.
- Agave or honey - ½ tsp.
Method of Preparation
- Tofu, extra firm, diced - 6 oz.
- Mushrooms, baby portabella, diced - 10 oz.
- Zucchini, diced - 10 oz.
- Bell Pepper, red, diced - 4 oz.
- Bell Pepper, yellow, diced - 4 oz
- Water, tap - 1 qt
- Rice noodles, Medium - 12 oz
- Green onion, cut on a bias - ½ oz
- Bean sprouts - 4 oz
- Cilantro, chopped (divided) - 1 tbsp.
1. Gather all the ingredients and equipment.
2. Peel the ginger and garlic and grate them into a medium bowl using a microplane.
3. Add remaining sauce/marinade ingredients (Tamari, chili paste, hoisin sauce, and agave), mix well.
4. Check sauce/marinade for spice level and adjust if needed.
5. Take 2 tablespoons of sauce/marinade and place in another medium bowl. This will be used to marinade the tofu.
6. Gently wrap tofu in a several paper towels and press it lightly to remove any additional moisture.
11. After you have pressed the tofu, dice it into ½ inch chunks and add to the second bowl to marinade for 20 minutes.
12. Gently wipe the mushrooms clean with a damp paper towel to remove any dirt.
13. Cut the mushrooms into quarters and set aside.
14. Wash the zucchini and pat dry. Cut in half, length wise, then cut in half, length wise again. Dice into ½ inch pieces and set aside.
15. Wash peppers. Remove tops, seeds, and ribs. Dice into ½ inch pieces and set aside.
16. In a large sauce pan add 1 quart of water and bring to a boil.
17. Once the water is at a boil, add the rice noodles and cook for 7 minutes.
18. Add all mushrooms, zucchini, and red and yellow bell peppers to the boiling water. Continue to cook for an additional 3 minutes.
19. Strain all contents of the pot in to a chinois and run cold water over the noodles and vegetables to stop the cooking process. Drain well.
20. Add the noodles to the first bowl with the sauce/marinade and mix well to make sure all the noodles are coated with the sauce/marinade.
21. Add in the green onions, bean sprouts, and ¾ tablespoon cilantro, mix well.
22. Place the noodles and vegetables on a serving dish and top with marinated tofu and the remaining ¼ tablespoon of chopped cilantro.
Chefs Notes: The medium rice noodles work very well in this dish, they absorb the sauce nicely, however you may substitute thin or thick rice noodles, buckwheat noodles, or gluten-free spaghetti (Sam Mills corn pasta works great in this).
About the Author: Jenny Manseau is a Chef, Culinary Nutrition student and author of the blog Creative Cooking Gluten Free. Jenny created her website after being diagnosed in 2008 with Celiac Disease and takes many “regular” every day recipes and alters them to the gluten-free diet.