November 02, 2012
Toasted Millet Pumpkin Muffins
Guest post by Dena from the blog 40 Fit in the Mitt - Balancing a Fit and Fun Life in Michigan. Ingredients
- 1/2 cup millet
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup soy or coconut milk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (to replace butter)
- 1 cup canned pumpkin purée
- 8 packets Splenda
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place paper liners in a 12-cup muffin pan; set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add millet and toast, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and just beginning to pop, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer millet to a plate to cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, Greek yogurt, soy milk, applesauce (to replace butter), pumpkin, Splenda packets and brown sugar; set aside.
- Whisk together flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and cooled millet in a medium bowl, then gently fold into egg mixture until just combined.
- Spoon batter into lined muffin tins and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffins comes out clean, 22 to 25 minutes.
- Allow muffins to cool in pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack.
About the Author: Dena blogs about her love of staying fit, eating healthy foods and living an active and fun life with her husband in Michigan. She share’s easy, healthy and satisfying recipes along with fun workouts and tips on staying fit. Visit her blog, 40 Fit in the Mitt.