July 25, 2014
Baked Oatmeal with Fresh Berries
- 1½ cups quick cooking oats
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. ground flax seeds
- 4 tbsp. water
- ½ cup vanilla almond milk (or any kind of milk really)
- ⅓ cup 100% pure maple syrup (not the artificial stuff)
- 2 tbsp. melted butter (I use Earth Balance)
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts (any kind of nut works or you can omit)
- 1 large ripe banana
- fresh berries for serving
- almond milk for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly spray a 8 inch square pan with non-stick spray.
- Slice bananas and place in a single row on the bottom of the square pan.
- In a small bowl, mix together the ground flax seed and water and let sit for 5 minutes until slightly gelled.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine the oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder and salt.
- Add in the flax seed mixture, almond milk, maple syrup, and butter.
- Stir together and add in the chopped walnuts.
- Gently top the oatmeal mixture on top of the layered bananas.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes until golden brown and set.
- To serve, scoop ¼ of baked oatmeal into a bowl and top with fresh berries and milk.