November 15, 2013
Spiced Chili - Gluten Free
Chili – Gluten Free, Onion Free, Soy Free - easily adaptable to fit a vegan or vegetarian diet by substituting the meat for additional beans and even tofu.Ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4-6 celery stocks (cleaned and chopped)
- 5 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large green (or red) bell pepper, chopped
- 1 can of tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons chili powder (if you like less spice, use 1 – 1 1/2 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons chopped chipolte chili peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon of the adobe sauce from the chili peppers (this is in addition to the 2 tablespoons of the chopped chili’s)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 pounds of ground beef
- 1 28oz can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cans 14.5 oz kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup water
- Salt and ground pepper
- In a 5-quart heavy pot or dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic, celery and peppers.
- Season with salt and pepper and cook until the celery and peppers have softened – about 3 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, chili powder, chipotle chilis, adobo sauce, cumin and cinnamon to the garlic, celery and peppers.
- Cook until everything is well combined and starts to brown, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add ground beef, and brown, breaking it down into chunks and no longer pink.
- Add the diced tomatoes with their juices, bay leaf, kidney beans and water.
- Simmer for 45 minutes to one hour – taste and season with salt and pepper accordingly.
- Top with: shredded cheese, sour cream, diced avocado, etc.