August 19, 2014
5 Reasons Why Watermelon Is Wonderful
Watermelon. It’s refreshing, sweet, light and low calorie. This juicy fruit is an excellent after dinner sweet treat and great in other ways too! I love it in salads, soups, drinks, smoothies, frozen treats! And what picnic or BBQ isn’t complete without this iconic bright pink piece of summertime? I was in the grocery store with my guy the other day and honestly had no idea how to pick out a watermelon. I smelled it (that didn’t work!) and then tapped on it (then jokingly played them like bongos!). I came home and did some research and my intuition was right on! To pick out an ideal watermelon, knock on them. You want to hear a hollow echo. Watermelon has always been a fun part of summer but the best part? It’s good for you too! Top 5 Reasons to Slurp up Watermelon!
- High in Vitamins A & C as well as B6 and essential minerals, means it’s loaded with antioxidants which helps fight free radicals (that can lead to inflammation and illnesses).
- Besides providing 2 grams of protein and fiber, it’s also a good source of lycopene and beta-carotene (which gives it its beautiful pink color!) and helps fight cancer and heart disease.
- It’s a low-calorie sweet that helps lose weight and curb your sweet tooth. One slice of watermelon has about 86 calories and less than 1 gram of fat.
- It works as a great accent to savory dishes such as salads and soups.
- There are so many fun ways to enjoy watermelon during the summer – just cut up in cubes or slices, in drinks (see my Watermelon Mint Cooler recipe below!), sorbets, granitas, popsicles, and even as a punch bowl or fruit bowl!
- 2 cups seedless organic watermelon
- 5 sprigs organic fresh mint (I used the wild mint from my folk’s garden!)
- 3 ice cubes
- For a fizzy drink: Splash seltzer (I personally prefer mine without the fizz)
- To get your cocktail on: ½ cup vodka (no comment!)
- For a chilled version: serve over ice (which I prefer)
- Blend watermelon, mint and ice in a blender. That’s it. No really, that’s it!