August 17, 2012
Avocado Fries with Sweet & Spicy Peach Dipping Sauce
Guest post by Marnely Rodriquez-Murray, author of the blog, Cooking with Books. Ingredients
- 1 large avocado
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup whole milk
- ½ cup panko
- Vegetable oil, for deep frying
- Salt and pepper
- ½ cup peach puree
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha (or your favorite hot sauce)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Stir peach puree, sriracha and honey together. Season with salt and pepper and reserve.
- In a medium saucepan, heat about 3 inches of oil. The oil should be 350F for ideal frying temperature.
- Set up a breading station, placing flour in first bowl; in the second bowl whisk milk with salt; third bowl fill with panko. Season each step with salt and pepper! This is the order in which you will coat your avocado slices.
- Cut avocado open and remove pit and skin. Slice to ½ to ¾ of an inch thick, depending on what size you want your fries to be. The thicker cut the better, as for more control and sturdiness as a “fry” and much easier to dip!
- Dip slices into flour and coat; pass on to milk and finish coating with panko. Place on parchment-lined tray while you finish breading.
- Carefully fry each avocado slice until golden brown; don’t crowd that pot with slices, frying only a few at a time to keep oil at ideal frying temperature. Drain the excess oil on paper towels.
- Serve with a side of Spicy Peach Dipping Sauce and enjoy!