February 28, 2014
Popeye Risotto - Gluten Free
- Spinach Stock
- Olive oil 2 teaspoon
- Garlic 2 tablespoons
- Baby Spinach 9 oz (1 Bag)
- Grey Salt 1/4 teaspoon
- Black Pepper 1/8 teaspoon
- White Wine 1/4 cup
- Cardamom 2 Whole – crushed and seeds removed
- Vegetable Stock 2 1/2 cups
- Butter 1 tablespoon
- Bamboo Rice 1 cup
- Ground Ginger 1/8 teaspoon
- Parmesan Cheese, grated 1/4 cup
- Gather all ingredients and equipment.
- Peel garlic and rough chop it, set aside.
- In a large, heavy bottom skillet, heat 2 teaspoons of the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add chopped garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Add cardamom seeds and baby spinach.
- Cook over medium heat until spinach has wilted.
- Add white wine and cook for an additional minute.
- Season with salt and pepper
- In the pitcher of a blender add 2 1/2 cups vegetable stock and spinach mixture.
- Blend on high-speed until well blended.
- Add spinach stock to a medium sauce pan and keep warm over low heat.
- In the same skillet as before add remaining olive oil and butter over medium heat.
- Once the butter has melted add the bamboo rice and stir until well coated.
- Sprinkle ground ginger and stir well.
- Stir in 1 cup of spinach stock – just enough to cover the rice.
- Stir well and continue to stir until the rice has almost completely absorbed the stock.
- Continue this until all stock has been added to rice and absorbed. This should take about 20-30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in Parmesan cheese.
- To serve top with grated lemon zest and pine nuts (optional)